Fading Ad: Schaefer Beer – East Islip, NY

Schaefer Beer Fading Wall Mural Bay Shore RoadsideGalore

Photos Taken: May 2010
Location: East Islip, NY

“Schaefer – Our Hand Has Never Lost It’s Skill” Found in the Long Island town of East Islip heading east on Montauk Highway.

, , , , ,

1. #1 by Gunnar on May 6, 2010 - 10:44 pm

I remember when Shaefer was the one beer to have when you’re having more than one.

• #2 by Fuzzygalore on May 9, 2010 - 11:33 am

Hi G :)

I’ve tried poking around the web to see if i can get any idea on the age of the mural. I emailed Schaefer to ask if they used that particular advertising during a specific time frame but they never replied. I hate it when I can’t find something on the web!!

2. #3 by combsiv on June 17, 2010 - 7:25 pm

Schaefer ran that tag line for a while, but it originated when Prohibition ended as a way of saying, “hey… we still know how to brew some beer.” They OWNED the NYC market coming out of Prohibition because they were so on the advertising side of things. I recently started The Schaefer Story blog. If you’re interested in Schaefer you should check it out.

• #4 by Fuzzygalore on June 21, 2010 - 11:43 am

Hey Combsiv – Thanks for the bits of info. I really appreciate it. I’m heading on over to your blog to give it a look-see!

3. #5 by toomuchcountry on June 19, 2010 - 2:34 am

A bunch of friends and I are big NASCAR and Schaefer fans. Have been for years. See http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/search/label/schaefer for many of our recent Schaefer experiences. This pic is so great – and doubly so because I’ve started looking into NASCAR’s racing history in Islip. I’d appreciate your letting me blog about it, include the pic, and of course provide a link back to this page. Thanks.

• #6 by Fuzzygalore on June 21, 2010 - 11:42 am

Hey TMC – I think that would be just great. Make sure you let us know the link so we can come take a look!

4. #7 by toomuchcountry on June 25, 2010 - 12:04 pm

My blog entry with mention of Schaefer, Islip, and NASCAR:

5. #8 by Frank Jump on July 14, 2010 - 1:56 pm

Great find! Can I feature it? Frank

6. #9 by Fuzzygalore on July 14, 2010 - 6:18 pm

Heaven’s to Betsey, Frank! I’d love that! :D

7. #10 by Steven B. on November 24, 2010 - 9:24 pm

Bad news.. the East Islip sign was painted over by vandals.

The only way to save it is to repaint it. I’m in the process now

8. #11 by Fuzzygalore on December 31, 2010 - 3:54 am

OMG :( That makes me really sad. What is wrong with people?

I’m glad you’re there to restore the mural, Steven. are there any photos of what you’re doing online?

9. #12 by Steven Behan on January 20, 2011 - 10:09 pm

Mr Galore,
    No photos yet. Tha black backround and the mustardy color are done. So is the white border.
    It was cool how many people stopped their cars and walked over while I was painting. Its coming out really good. I’m leaving the top right corner alone so people can see the originality. It will be done in the spring.
    If youlook close, you can see “FINE BEER” under “SCHAEFFER”.

10. #13 by toomuchcountry on February 22, 2011 - 3:50 am

In returning to this post, I’m really disheartened to learn the mural was defaced. Through a similar photo I found on Flickr, I learned apparently some gang ruined it with graffitti. GRRRR. But Steven, awesome effort by you to reclaim it. It won’t the sho-nuff, but it will live on. Great foresight to see a corner of the original paint.

11. #14 by Frank Jump on April 6, 2011 - 2:25 am

Hey FG-
    Finally gotten around to featuring this sign. Incredible story as well as an incredible find.
    Best, Frank